The real benefit here is the ability to add toppings which really helps hungry people like me to actually have this as a stand-alone meal without getting hungry 30 minutes later (or less!).
Acai powder contains fiber, antioxidants, and has other heart-healthy benefits. Adding chia seeds is yet another way to boost your health by adding Omega-3 fatty acids (which is good for the heart, lowering cholesterol, and has even been linked to lower rates of depression and ADHD), protein (throw away that nasty protein powder!) and more fiber!
Here’s how ya do it:
Acai Smoothie Bowl
- 3 ice cubes
- 1 banana Tip: you can actually freeze your bananas by cutting them and placing them in a zip lock bag
- 1 heaping cup of frozen mangoes
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon of Acai Powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup apple juice try to find a natural one with no preservatives
- Optional: sometimes I put in a pinch of cinnamon!
- 1/2 banana sliced
- 3 strawberries sliced
- Coconut shavings
- Chia seeds
Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until combined. Pour out the smoothie into a bowl and add your favorite toppings!
The toppings are up to you, but I used fresh blueberries, bananas, and strawberries with chia seeds and coconut shavings. You can basically use any fruit here (passion fruit, blackberries, kiwis..you get the picture!). I also like to use granola for these as well. Cocoa nibs are also another topping you can use.