Believe it or not.. I made these completely dairy free! And they were delisshhh. Of course, you can 100% make it with traditional dairy products–see the recipe below for both options!
I was inspired to make this after I made a dairy-free buffalo chicken sauce for a pasta dish I made recently: Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells which was so good I knew I NEEDED to make something else with that buffalo chicken mixture. So alas.. this grilled cheese.
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or dairy-free sour cream) I used Green Valley lactose free
- 1/2 cup cream cheese (or dairy-free cream cheese) I used Kite Hill's dairy-free
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices sandwich bread I used Whole Food's sandwich bread (or gluten-free for a gluten free recipe)
- 4 slices cheese (or non-dairy cheese) I used Daiya's sliced cheddar
- butter or non-dairy butter I used original Earth Balance non-dairy
In a small bowl, combine chopped chicken, sour cream, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, salt and pepper and mix.
Evenly spread butter on the outsides of the bread. Add about 1/4 of the filling on the inside (non-buttered side) of half of the bread slices. Top with two slices of cheese and then the other piece of bread.
Heat a non-stick pan on medium-low heat. Once warm, place sandwiches on the pan. Do not over crowd the pan.. if you can only do 1-2 at a time, do that! Also, I like to cover the pan with a top while cooking to help the cheese melt.
Cook on each side until golden brown about 2-3 minutes each side. If you notice your bread is turning black turn the heat down to low--you want to have it on the pan long enough for the cheese to melt.
If you're doing 1 or 2 at a time, once you take the finished ones off just cover them with some aluminum foil to keep them warm.
Slice in half and enjoy!