I don’t even remember how I came up with this idea… but I’m glad I did because this will definitely be in my dinner rotation! Not only does it require just a few ingredients, but it’s easily made dairy-free 😉 ! And if you’re feeling lazy… just grab a rotisserie chicken at your grocery store for the quickest meal prep.
- 1 box large shells pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream or dairy-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup cream cheese or dairy free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese or dairy free mozzarella
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place rack in the middle.
Cook pasta al dente in a large pot of salted water according to your box instructions. Drain and rinse shells with cold water until they are cool enough to handle.
In a mixing bowl, combine chicken, sour cream, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, salt, and pepper.
Grease your cast iron or baking dish with the olive or vegetable oil to avoid the shells sticking to your pan.
Spoon the mixture into each shell and arrange the filled shells in a cast iron pan (or a baking dish). Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and bake for 20-25 minutes.
My favorite dairy free substitutes for this recipe are:
- Green Valley Organic Lactose Free Sour Cream
- Kite Hill Plain Cream Cheese Style Spread
- Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Cheese Alternative Shred
I just love how creamy this dish is and it combines pasta–which is my first love–with buffalo chicken dip, which, who doesn’t love?!
What do you think?