Cast Iron Margarita Pizza
- Fresh pizza dough I used half of a regular sized pizza dough to make one pizza in a 10-inch skillet
- Canned tomato sauce optional: I like to add about 1/2 a tablespoon of tomato paste to one jar of tomato sauce
- Fresh mozzarella 5-6 slices
- 2 cloves Fresh garlic
- 5 leaves Fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 550 degrees. If your oven only goes to 500 then cook for about 4-7 minutes longer.
Pour olive oil on cast iron pan. Place dough in the pan and cover both sides with oil. Make sure oil covers the bottom and edges of the pan.
Using your palm to flatten dough. You want the dough to touch the edges.
Pour sauce evenly on the dough. Place about 5-6 slices of mozzarella on top along with the basil.
Place skillet in the middle rack of your oven for about 12-15 minutes. You want the bottom to be golden brown when you lift it up with a spatula.
Tip: if your grocery store doesn't have fresh pizza dough you can also look for frozen OR do what I did: call up your local pizza place and see if they sell their dough! I got mine for $5
Tip: If the edges begin to brown but you want a crispier bottom you can place the skillet on the stove top for a few minutes, checking the bottom with a spatula for it to brown slightly.
Tip: Place on a cutting board and slice. Don't ever use a knife or fork in any of your pans, especially ones that are coated!