I swear on everything I love that you would have no idea these are dairy free! I’ve tricked many a people so far while recipe testing these. And after recently tweaking this recipe my Mom has given her feedback as, “this is the best cookie I’ve ever had in my life”. So there you have it!
Who doesn’t love a good chocolate chip cookie? Especially right out of the oven when the chocolate is still gooey and hot! I wanted to perfect making a chocolate chip cookie that was dairy free and a little healthier than your average cookie–and this is definitely it! I’ve eaten probably a dozen of these all on my own in the last 2 weeks so if that isn’t the testament that you needed to try these then I’ll also add that every single person who has tasted these has eaten at least 2-3 in one sitting.
They’re just that good.. and they are totally dairy-free and can be made gluten free and vegan, just see the notes in the recipe section!
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature for vegan: mix 1 tablespoon flax meal + 2.5 tablespoons water and let gel for 10 minutes before using
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 3/4 cups almond flour use 2 1/4 cups almond flour for gluten free
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 6 oz dairy-free dark chocolate chips or chopped up bar I prefer Enjoy Life's semisweet mega chunks
- Flaky sea salt to sprinkle on top
In a medium mixing bowl, combine coconut oil, canola oil, and sugar. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
Mix in vanilla extract, baking soda and sea salt. Add in almond flour and bread flour (or just almond flour if making gluten free). Mix until just combined.
Fold in the chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour (up to 48 hours).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line about 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. I like to use a small cookie scoop, which yields about 20 cookies (a larger scoop about 12) to form the cookies. Press down slightly and then sprinkle the top of each with flaky sea salt.
Bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Let cool for about 5 minutes before enjoying!