I was making cupcakes for a friends birthday and was thinking, “what are summer flavors for a cupcake?” And I landed on fresh blueberries from the farmer’s market and lemons and they were a total HIT!
Usually many of my recipes are either dairy free or totally vegan… but sometimes I just gotta go all out for a certain recipe! Now… I’m sure I can easily make this vegan and have it taste fairly similar, but I was making these for friends who are not vegan so I figured why not have a little cheat meal myself too 🙂 !
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 190 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200 grams
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, whole milk, or a non-dairy milk if not using buttermilk, add 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to the milk and let it sit for a few minutes before adding in
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest about 3 lemons
- 1/4 cup lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup fresh organic blueberries
- 8 oz brick style cream cheese room temperature (prefer to use Philadelphia brand)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar 240 grams
- 1 tablespoon milk or heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. This recipes yields 15 cupcakes, so you’ll have a 2nd batch.
Make the batter: Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed in a large bowl until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the granulated sugar and beat on high speed for 2 minutes until creamed. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl as needed. With the mixer running on low speed, add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla extract. Beat on medium-high speed until combined. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl as needed.
With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients then add the buttermilk, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Beat everything just until incorporated. Do not overmix. Finally, fold in the blueberries.
Pour/spoon the batter into the liners – fill only 2/3 full to avoid spilling over the sides. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. For around 30 mini cupcakes, bake for about 11-13 minutes, same oven temperature. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Make the frosting: In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk or paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, 1 Tablespoon cream, vanilla extract, and salt with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add 1 more Tablespoon of cream to thin out, if desired. Taste. Add an extra pinch of salt if needed.
Frost cooled cupcakes. I used a Wilton #12 round tip. Top with lemon slices and blueberries if desired.