This might be my go-to weekend breakfast! It’s just SO DELICIOUS!
I was inspired to make this dish after dining out at one of my favorite Southern restaurants in Brooklyn, Catfish, and having their shrimp and grits. I wanted to eat something similar and then decided to turn it into a breakfast dish!
Polenta Breakfast Bowl
- 1 head of garlic peeled to expose all the cloves
- 2 slices thick cut bacon cubed
- 3 1/4 cups milk use cashew milk for dairy-free
- 3/4 cups polenta corn meal
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese use dairy-free Violife brand for dairy-free
- 1 tablespoon butter use vegan butter for dairy-free
- 1 stalk scallions sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place peeled garlic cloves in aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Close the aluminum foil, enclosing the cloves inside. Transfer to oven and roast for about 45 minutes.
Heat a pan in the stovetop on medium heat and add cubed bacon. Cook until brown then transfer to a paper towel to remove excess grease. Save some grease in the pan to cook the eggs!
In a medium to large sauce pot, add milk and bring to a boil on high heat. Then whisk in the polenta until combined then bring it down to medium heat and use a wooden spoon to stir in the cheese, butter and season with salt and pepper.
Heat the same pan you used for the bacon and crack eggs and cook for about 3-5 minutes.
While eggs are cooking, add some olive oil to the red pepper flakes. Place polenta in two bowls, top with eggs, bacon, scallions, roasted garlic and sprinkle with some of the chili oil...and enjoy!