I’ve been really craving a rich, creamy, chocolate cream pie that is not only dairy-free and vegan but that does NOT use tofu… which I’m sure works given how many people have posted about it.. but I think for many people this might be hard to mentally move past! SO I bring you this amazing recipe that is a dark chocolate lover’s dream without any added sugar, eggs, milk/cream or butter! Did I mention that other than baking the pie shell… this is a NO bake recipe?!
Also to be frank.. I tried twice to make a coconut whipped cream to put on top. As you can see, there is a whipped cream on top.. but that is is not mine and I’m not afraid to say it is VERY hard to make whipped cream from a can of coconut milk. I’m a seasoned food blogger and after two failed attempts I figured if I can’t get it right then I’m going to suggest you use Reddi-wip’s dairy free versions of their whipped cream (they have a coconut and an almond milk based one.. just be sure to read the directions because they are slightly different than just shaking it!)
Pre-Baked Pie Crust
- 1 9 inch deep pie crust, pre-baked and cooled baked according to the instructions on your pie crust. For a vegan and dairy-free option I suggest finding a graham cracker crust that does not use butter (most grocery stores should carry this). If your pie crust is shallow, consider making two pies with the filling.
Chocolate Pie Filling
- 1 13.5 oz can of full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups dairy-free semi sweet chocolate chips I used Lily's
- 1/3 cup unsalted cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- dairy-free whipped cream I used Reddi-whip canned coconut whipped cream
- dairy-free chocolate shaved for topping (you can use a knife or a fine grater or zester)
Be sure to bake your pie crust beforehand and let it cool to room temperature before filling it!
Add the coconut milk to a high speed blender (e.g., Vitamix) and blend until very well combined.
Use a double boiler method to melt the chocolate, by placing a metal bowl on top of a small pot with boiling water and adding the chocolate to the bowl, stirring continuously until melted and there are no clumps. Transfer chocolate to the blender with the coconut milk.
Add in the cashew butter, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, instant coffee and salt. Blend until very smooth and creamy.
Fill your pie crust. To set the pie, either chill overnight in the fridge or freeze for an hour and then transfer to refrigerator for a few hours to set completely.
When you're ready to serve, top with optional dairy-free whipped cream and shaved chocolate and enjoy!