I actually made this recipe after getting these delicious Hot Italian Sausages from the Union Square Farmer’s Market and a beautiful bunch of Tuscan Kale as well and decided to combine them in this savory, salty, cheesy pasta dish! I’ve made it every week for the last month since then… yes, it’s THAT good!
- 1 box orecchiette pasta
- 4 hot Italian sausages
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons canned sun-dried tomatoes chopped (you can also use paste)
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale chopped
- 1/4 cup pasta water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or more to taste
- 1/3 pecorino romano cheese (or parmesan) or more to taste and/or for topping
Bring a pot of salted water to boil.
Once your salted water is boiling, add in your pasta.
While your pasta is cooking, heat a large saute pan (preferably with high sides; you can also use a dutch oven) on medium-high heat. Remove the casing from the sausages and add to the pan. Break up with a wooden spoon while cooking.
Once the sausage is cooked, add in the olive oil, sliced garlic cloves and sun-dried tomato and cook until the garlic becomes fragrant. Then add in the chopped kale and 1/4 cup of the pasta water and turn the heat down to medium. Stir and let the kale cook down until it has shriveled up. Season with salt, pepper, and cheese.
Add in the cooked pasta and stir until well combined. Top with extra cheese and enjoy!
For the sun dried tomatoes, it's best if you can find them jarred in a liquid and chop them up. You can also use a paste. I've also used a sun dried tomato bruschetta as well that worked deliciously!