Spicy Olive Pasta
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic sliced thin
- 1 can San Marzano tomato puree 28 oz
- 1 can tomato paste 6 oz
- Approx. 1 teaspoon of red chili flakes or more for spicier sauce!
- Approx. 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Approx. 4-5 oz Kalamata olives
- Approx. 10 fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar the sugar is a tip I learned from my Mom growing up when making red sauce from scratch; it helps bring back the sweetness of the tomatoes and I love the balance between the sweet, salty and spicy!
- 1 box dried spaghetti 16 oz
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
In a large pot or dutch oven on medium heat, add olive oil. When hot, add garlic and stir until fragrant. Add in the tomato puree and tomato paste
Season the sauce with the red chili flakes, oregano, salt and pepper. Let simmer for about 30 minutes. In the meantime, bring a large pot with salted water to a boil.
Add in olives, basil and sugar to the sauce and simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Add yoru dried pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente (follow the instructions on your box of pasta). When the pasta is cooked, drain and add into the sauce and mix until pasta is evenly coated with the sauce... then serve!