I’ve always been a sandwich lover, and the Italian Sub sandwich is a classic favorite of mine! I was craving it at home so I went and got some deli meats, good bread, and accompaniments and thought I would share this delicious sammy with you all!
For me, the key to a good deli sandwich is always requesting your deli meats to be thinly sliced. I just love the texture of thinner sliced meats and I think it gives the sandwich more flavor with more surface area of the meat!
Typically, an Italian sub has just olive oil and vinegar but I like mine with just some red wine vinegar, a little mayo and I added some Calabrian chili oil as well to give it a little kick:
- 4 sub rolls or gluten free bread for gluten free diet!
- 1 pound thinly sliced ham
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced pepperoni
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced mortadella
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce thinly chopped
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- dried oregano
- Calabrian chili oil you can also use sriracha
Slice rolls lengthwise and on the bottom piece of bread, layer the ham, pepperoni and mortadella. I like to fold each slice of meat once or twice to give the sandwich more volume.
Add as much onion as you prefer. Top with tomato and then lettuce. On top of the lettuce, drizzle some red wine vinegar and season with salt, pepper and oregano.
On the top half of the bread roll, add as much mayo as you prefer and some Calabrian chili oil. Place the top on the sandwich, slice in half and enjoy!