I know post-holiday’s are tough for a lot of us as we try to ween ourselves off from the constant bombardment of food. I’m feeling the pain, too! So when I was craving some cheesy cheese fries, I decided to try and make them completely dairy-free and vegan-friendly. And it was a HUGE success!
I made a cashew cream that’s supposed to act as a sour cream. Now, if you’re expecting it to taste like sour cream…it won’t. But if you want a creamy texture to smother over your “cheese” fries then this is definitely that! And it’s easy to incorporate other flavors like sriracha, ketchup, etc.
Vegan Cheese Fries
For cashew cream:
- 1 cup soaked cashews Tip: take 1 cup of cashews, place them in a mason jar with water that covers them completely and let them sit for at least 4 hours. If you soak them for longer than 4 hours, place them in the fridge
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup fresh water
- 1 ½ nutritional yeast this brand is common
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For cheese fries:
- 3/4 bag of Ore Ida Crispers frozen
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon piches granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon pinches kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pinch black pepper
- About 4 slices Creamy Original Chao vegan you can use more if you want it cheesier!
- 4 scallion stalks sliced thin
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Drain the soaked cashews and wash them in a strainer. Add them to a blender along with the lemon juice, water (Note: this is fresh water, not the water you used to soak them in!), nutritional yeast, and salt. Blend until creamy. Set aside.
Line the french fries on a baking sheet. Tip: if you have a Silpat (silicone liner) use that to avoid burning your fries! Bake for 22-25 minutes or until crispy. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, and granulated garlic. Give them a little stir to mix the seasonings. Next, top with cheese. Note: I transferred my fries to a cast iron pan for presentation purposes, but feel free to top the fries with the cheese right on the baking sheet. Bake until the cheese melts, about 3-5 minutes.
While the cheese is melting, mix 1 part sriracha with 2 parts ketchup. When the cheese is melted, top them with the cashew cream, scallions and the spicy sriracha ketchup!