If you love hot chocolate then this one is NEXT level and will impress everyone for the holidays! But it’s also perfect for a night alone cuddled up under the covers watching a movie! Although this is a vegan/dairy free recipe, you can easily sub in whole milk for the oat milk and use heavy cream instead of coconut milk if you prefer 🙂
Vegan Hot Chocolate
decadent, velvety vegan hot chocolate
- 4 cups oat milk (I used Elmhurst )
- 1 13.5 oz can of coconut milk
- 6 ounces 70% dairy free dark chocolate chopped (I used Chocolove)
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder my favorite brand is Ghiradelli
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar you can add more if you want it sweeter or don't plan to top with whipped cream which will naturally sweeten it
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder or instant coffee powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- vegan whipped cream I used "truwhip" which I found in the freezer section of my health food store
- shaved dark chocolate
Add all the ingredients to a large heavy pot and heat on medium heat. Use a whisk frequently to make sure everything mixes evenly. Make sure to heat for a full 10 minutes so everything melts and it will thickens up nicely during that time.
I suggest letting it rest for 5 minutes before serving so it doesn't burn your mouth 🙂
Top with whipped cream and shaved dark chocolate and enjoy!