This is easily one of my favorite things to make… and the best part? It feels totally guilt-free!
Especially if you’re sensitive to dairy like me 🙂
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash see recipe for instructions
- 1 pound fusilli pasta
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- juice from 3/4 lemon
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh pepper or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup seasoned Japanese style Panko breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut your squash lengthwise in half and using a spoon scoop out the seeds. Place the pieces skin side down on a baking sheet and roast for 1 hour. When cool to the touch, scoop out 1 cup and add to a blender.
Boil salted water in a large pasta pot. Add in pasta and cook al dente according to box instructions.
While pasta is cooking, add all other ingredients to the blender with the butternut squash and blend on high for about 30 seconds or until creamy. When pasta is done, drain and toss the pasta in your "cheese" sauce. You can add more salt and/or pepper to taste and then enjoy immediately!
Place breadcrumbs in a saute pan on medium-high heat and stir continuously until they begin to brown and become fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
Remove from heat and top your mac and cheese with your toasted breadcrumbs!