I haven’t met anyone who doesn’t love a good pesto! Have you ever tried a pistachio pesto? It has such a nice nutty salty addition to a traditional pesto that uses walnut or pine nuts.
And the best part about this pizza is that both the pistachio pesto and the mozzarella cheese are both totally dairy-free and vegan!
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water preferably filtered
- 1 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cup packed fresh basil
- 3/4 cup raw unsalted pistachios
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast if you're not dairy free, just substitute 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tablespoon kosher salt or more to taste
- 1/8 tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper or more to taste
- 1 pizza pie crust I used the long square flatbread also from Trader Joe's
- 1 jar tomato/marinara sauce
- 1 handful yellow cherry tomatoes
Add cashews to a small pot and add just enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes. Drain the water and add cashews to a blender.
Add water, tapioca flour, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, salt and garlic powder to the blender. Blend on high for about 30 seconds or until cashews are ground up completely. Your mixture will be very watery... don't worry this is normal!
Pour out the mixture into your small pot and heat on medium. Stir continuously, preferably with a rubber spatula, for about 2-3 minutes or until it just comes together as a solid, stretchy mixture.
Turn the heat off and remove your "cheese" and set aside.
Place all ingredients for the pesto in a blender or food processor and blend until there are no large chunks
Preheat oven to 425 F
Lightly brush the edges of the crust with olive oil. Spread pesto evenly over crust to within half an inch of the edges.
Taking a spoon, place small dollops of the cheese about 1-2 inches away from each other. Slice cherry tomatoes in half and place on pizza. Bake on a pizza stone, baking sheet or directly on the oven rack 5-8 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and crisp around the edges.
Top with freshly sliced basil, slice and enjoy!