I actually made these for my family this past year for Thanksgiving and let me tell you… not a single person knew that this wasn’t made with real milk and butter!
And good news for all my (lucky) peeps who can consume dairy without an issue because you can easily swap this recipe out for the “real deal” mashed potatoes by just substituting real milk or the non-dairy and real butter for the vegan butter 🙂
- 5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 cups cashew milk (or other unsweetened, non-dairy milk) I like to use cashew milk since it's not as sweet tasting as almond, oat, etc
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter I used original Earth Balance
- Kosher salt to taste, start with 1/2 tablespoon
- Black pepper to taste, start with 1 teaspoon
- 4 peeled garlic cloves If you want them to be garlic mashed potatoes!
In a large pot, boil water. Optional: add the garlic cloves to the pot
While waiting for the water to boil, peel the potatoes and cut into approximately 1 inch pieces.
Once boiling, add cut potatoes to the boiling water (carefully—watch for splash back! I usually drop them in with a big ladle or mesh skimmer). Cook until you can easily stick a fork right through, about 20-25 minutes.
Drain and place potatoes into a large bowl (and garlic cloves if you added those!). Add cashew milk (or other non-dairy milk), vegan butter, salt and pepper and mix either with and electric hand mixer for very creamy potatoes or go rustic and use a potato masher. Season with more salt and/or pepper until your liking!